This mornings Daily Bread really hit me. It was the story of Abraham going to sacrifice his only son Isaac. (The story is found in Genesis 22.) I have known this story for so long but I had one of those moments when it strikes me in a new way. To me it is a powerful story. Abraham waited so long for his son and must have loved him so much. I think he would have done anything to protect him and even would have died for him if that is what it would take to protect him. Then God asks him to sacrifice his son. Abraham obeyed. What a love and obedience he had for God! He had his priorities straight and put God first in his life. I can only imagine how Abraham must have been weeping when he bound his son and took the knife. When God told him to stop he must have fallen to the ground with relief and held his son to assure Isaac of his love.
A powerful story to me to put God first. What have I waited for and have that I hang onto too tightly? Do I put God first in my life? Or are my plans, tasks, even hobbies first? What does God call me to sacrifice? This last question is a soul reflecting question to me today. It requires honest prayer. Do I want to know the answer? To be closer to God I need to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yes, Abraham's obedience to God is most perfect. To strive to be obedient, to become like Jesus
Christ, the Son of God, is a most important goal--to obey Him and love Him as He as loved us--
Post a Comment